Introduction to Digital democracy is here. Social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter are providing inexpensive ways for individuals to engage on political issues, therefore providing a wealth of data that provides insight on an underlying trend that spans both geography and demography.
Outbox Uganda carried out a sentiment analysis of Uganda’s first ever presidential debate last month and generated interesting insights. To this end, our session this month is focused on sharing how we carried out the analysis, the insights we developed, and equipping CSOs and journalists with a basic understanding on how to go about analysing twitter data to develop unique insights on political conversations.
What shall we cover?
We shall look at the following for this session:
- Explain the basics of the methodology that was used to develop the sentiment analysis on the presidential debate.
- Explain the basics of the methodology used to develop the data visualizations and why Have feedback on what the audience would be interested in with regards to such initiatives of data analysis.
- Have participants propose a project where they would love to see us put resources to support with our civic team.
Who should attend?
This event is targeted towards:
* Personnel directing working on digital democracy in Civil Society organisations (CSOs) Journalists.
* Software developers interested in data analysis
At the end of this event;
- You should have developed a basic understanding on the various data analysis approaches that can be performed.
- You should have developed an understanding on the methodology used to harvest and analyse tweets
- You should have a basic understanding on data visualisation.
- We should have a project that we would want the civic team at Outbox to undertake over the next eight months.
Just an understanding of what twitter is and how it works? Also basic computer knowledge is an added advantage
Richard Ngamita is a Data Engineering consultant working as Analytics lead at Medic. Previously he worked with Google Nairobi & Dublin. Tools R and Python for data analysis and visualizations.
Call +256755510000 for any inquiries.